Sunday, August 23, 2009

What is Diversity?

Every single time I am asked this question, I become irritated. I also get very bored rather quickly. Diversity? Are you serious?

I don't know if I am being arrogant, but I don't believe in an entire discussion about this question. It's archaic and a waste of time. It becomes a frilly mess. It becomes "I remember this time when..." Everyone claps. People cry. That is it. The end.

Um, what did that accomplish? Nothing. It is the easy way to discuss diversity--just put people together to talk. See? EASY! So, what should we do instead?

I think we need to put a little more effort into our talks.

First, spend less than 10-15 minutes speaking about the WHAT. We need to look deeper by examining case studies, experiments, and other factual information and draw them into the discussion. We need to be real! Experiences are nice, but once we arm people with facts, that's when things happen. Get with the picture folks. Some people may shake their heads because of individuals from homogenous environments, but they need to stop kidding themselves.

I know people are from small towns, but we need to stop babying them. Those initial 10-15 minute conversations will help out, and the conversation after will empower them. So, be a maverick in the diversity issue. Go past the diversity pow-wows and add something new.

I'm tired of going in circles. Aren't you?

No comments: