Saturday, September 20, 2008

UGAConnect Conference; Diversity and Social Media



I learned so much at UGAConnect, but one thing that I found interesting is a word that kept being thrown around at the conference- community.
I want to elaborate on this because, in my opinion, diversity is integral in community.

Social Media is ALL about community, and though, diversity wasn't directly being targeted at the conference, I saw huge potential in terms of multiculturalism and pr, within the conversations that were occurring between professionals, educators, and students. 

One aspect is the idea of a conversation.

A two-way dialogue is important when anything is being broadcasted within the social media sphere; this becomes an asset to our cause!  This characteristic of new media allows minorities to be part of the conversation. 

Look at this blog; aren't you reading? I was allowed to speak though a blog, which is a form of social media.

Common Sense? 
Well, yes, but no real efforts have occurred with social media in terms of connecting minorities with the field of public relations.

The possibilities are endless; professionals, educators, and students who are all invested in elevating the industry to a higher level by increasing the importance of diversity in the field.

One outcome: the ability to connect minority professionals to minority students and recent graduates . These individuals will become vital in a student's success.

I know that my passion for  diversity has been fueled by two of my mentors, Kim L. Hunter and Bill Imada. They are always willing to help me with anything that I want to pursue in terms of diversity and communications. I have been lucky in finding mentors, but social media will make this easier to accomplish for other students. 

I can only imagine fueling the passions of other students for diversity through facebook discussions? or through twitter? or creating a LinkedIn social sphere? 

Moreover, PRSA could get involved! They could promote their multicultural scholarship. They could provide a connection to companies who are looking for diversity with students who are diverse.

This is just one aspect of social media that could help our cause, but what are your thoughts?
Is social media an asset or an obstacle? 

No comments: