Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Why diversity and public relations?

Why did I create this blog?

I had an idea for this blog in early summer, but never got around to writing about diversity in relation to public relations until now.

Why do I care about such a specific topic in PR?

It began when I sat in my first PR class in the wonderful Grady College at the University of Georgia. Don’t get me wrong–I love GRADY!!! I love…love…love it! BUT, I felt alone. I felt like I could not be myself. I could not talk like I usually talk. I could not act like I usually act. Why?

I was one of a only a few minorities in my class.

It was disheartening when I looked at the person to my left and right, and saw no one like me. I have always been active on campus with multicultural organizations, however I lacked proffesional development because I HATED going to a meeting or class because I felt like an outsider.

THIS WAS NOT RIGHT!

I should excel. I should be comfortable. I should be able to be myself.

So, early summer I began to contact our PRSSA chapter in order to increase diversity not just in Grady but in the PR major as well.

I talked to Dr. Jones who is one of the most open advisors I have ever spoken too, and she encouraged me to take action.

I did.

With the help of my wonderful mentors Mr. Bill Imada and Mr. Kim L. Hunter, I took action.

I drafted a proposal to give to PRSSA and…guess what happened?

We now have a diversity committee for PRSSA!

This blog is to going to speak about trials and tribulations of increasing diversity in an organization and in a college!

Wish us luck!

Debbie Ebalobo

No comments: